Friday, October 24, 2008

Piracy...does it happen where you don't expect???

Tonight I went to a site to ask a ligimate question, since I at one time purchased extensively at that site, and happen to want to support the talented designers at it, and within two minutes my post was closed for discussion...I wonder why??? And now I have been totally CENSORED!!! The thread has been totally deleted for none to see, hmmm...again, I wonder why???
Here is what I posted...

Are You Committing Piracy?
With the thread started by Margie about the Great Exodus at DSP and her sharing private business concerns that should have been left between employer/employee (which the thread has now been edited to delete a lot of what was shared). I now have concerns regarding how DSP handles the distribution of funds to their employees whether that be past or present. I am referring to the post at a former designer blog that is upset due to non payment for her sales in September and NO response from DSP regarding her payment. I am concerned over this, because as a customer that likes to help, promote and support the great talented ladies from DSP, I would be very concerned and upset to know that my monies that I use at this site are not being distributed as what I would expect when I purchase something. I also know that I depend on the money my employer pays me when it is due and that it be on time. Also, that in no way or form would I expect them to withhold any of that money, for any amount of time, no matter what, I depend on my income.
And while it seems she tried to handle this situation privately, there comes a time that you have to speak out for yourself, much like a couple of current DSP Designers did on their blogs about non payment for papers they made for a Printing Company that didn’t pay them.
According to this former designer, her payment should have arrived on the 15th of the month, and here it is the 24th and she has not had any money and only one vague response from DSP regarding her funds, which she says she asked for clarification on the vague response and had still heard nothing.
So DSP what is up with that???
There was a question within her statement which is making me think and realize it is something that we as consumers need to be aware of no matter where or how prestigious the site is when purchasing products online..."Could this be considered Piracy?" Something to think about when and where we are spending our money and wanting it to be distributed fairly and timely!!!

Reply by Margie (CEO and Buckeye Fan)
I will gladly discuss this with you privately, but I won't break our commitment to non-disclosure, but fyi, no we are not committing piracy.

While I would say this is defineately a contriversal issue, it is an issue as a consumer I have the right to know. As a consumer I want to know if I am contributing to piracy, wouldn't you???

So does cutting off the post with the reply mean that no matter what they do, they can do it because they are above it all. Well I guess so since I have now been totally CENSORED!!! So, am I to take their word that it's not piracy, well I looked up that word in the dictionary...and this is what it says...

pi·ra·cy (pī'rə-sē) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. pi·ra·cies
1. Robbery committed at sea. (well we are not at sea so this doesn't apply)
2. A similar act of robbery, as the hijacking of an airplane. (nope...not in an airplane)
3. The operation of an unlicensed, illegal radio or television station. (naw not this one either)
4. The unauthorized use or reproduction of copyrighted or patented material: software piracy. (hmmm...not paid for I would think that is unauthorized, BINGO!!!)

I really must do some more research on this, hmmm I think that DST would be a good place to start...

No comments: